Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A real own goal

Watford v West Ham (Carling Cup 3rd Round)

Tuesday 23rd September

Taking two Hammers with me to the game required a warning in order that they couldn’t throw any victory in my face (in the ground at least). After a couple of pints in Watford’s Wetherspoons, we met Joss inside and settled down to Gianfranco Zola’s first English cup game as a manager. The Horns have injuries aplenty, meaning starts for Ross Jenkins, Jordan Parkes, Al Bangura, Lionel Ainsowrth and Scott Loach (who impressed on Saturday). The Irons’ defence was pretty much first choice but they had a few squad players on show too.

Not long after we’d got there, Loach held on to a shot well when there were West Ham players following up but the first of many references to Saturday’s events (eventually given as a John Eustace own goal) was when Ainsworth shot wide and we started singing “1-0 to the Golden Boys”: anything that went even vaguely close was celebrated as a goal by someone today. “The goal that never was” has made worldwide sports news, the first time we’ve managed that for quite a while.

With such inspiration, the fans shouted the team on and the eleven on the pitch played well against a more than competent (but less than inspired) West Ham, who had their own chances in a game mostly played out in the middle of the field. The drink motivated me to raise my voice a little more than usual, affording me approving glances (from kids, I admit) in what I thought was the absence of our main cheerleader (until I saw him sitting in a different place a little later).

Again the litany was sung in its entirety though I found myself spluttering solo through some lines of our most basic chants. With twenty minutes to go, Tommy Smith crossed and a deflection off one of their defenders put us in front, a fact I made sure Tim was fully aware of. Despite having to sing “We’ve only got ten men” when Jay Demerit limped off with seven or eight minutes left, WFC held on to move into the last sixteen and a game I’ll be in Japan for. Only one match left for me.

No comments: