Friday, January 23, 2009

Hop connoisseur


As a vegetarian, the range of food I choose to sample abroad is limited and I am unable, perhaps, to get as close as others to an authentic experience of the places I visit. This provides a fairly good excuse for my attempts to drink as many of the local beers as possible (are you buying?). In both Australia and New Zealand, I was given recommendations about tipples and tried those and more but even in China I had gone for variety. My Chinese list is abridged, as it were, by my failure to note properly in Guilin and by the lack of words used to distinguish the varieties each brewery produces.


China:

Harbin (draft & classic)

Tsingtao (black, draft & other)

Yanjing (draft & other)


Australia:

4X (gold & bitter)
Carlton (mid, draught & cold)

Cascade (stout & pale ale)

Cooper

Hahn Lite

James Boag’s Premium

Tooheys (old, new, premium)

Townsville Brewery (stout, red, Digger’s & bitter)

VB (green & gold)


New Zealand:

Dux de Lux (Queenstown brewery) (Black Shag, Hereford Bitter, Alpine Ale)

Lion Red (& Steinlager)

Mac’s (Spring Tide, Sassy Red & Black)

Mangatainoka Dark

Monteiths (Celtic Red, Original Ale, NZ Lager & Radler)

Speights (Golden, Distinction & Old Dark)

Summit beer

Unsurprisingly, the microbreweries in Townsville and Queenstown had the best beers, with the Townsville Red taking my top prize but Monteith’s Radler was an excellent fruity beer from a big(gish) brewery that I’d search out.

No comments: