Monday, January 25, 2010

Ayahuasca in Pucallpa, Peru


Neither Jun nor I had heard of the plant ayahuasca a year ago. Hitchhiking out of Futaleufu, Chile, in mid-February we were given a lift by a fisherman who was taking Patrick – a U.S. citizen – through the Andes and over the border into Argentina. In the course of the journey, Patrick mentioned its curative properties and Jun asked him to write its (hispanicized Quechua) name down. (The plant has other monikers – most notably “yagé” as in “The yagé letters”: the correspondence between William Burroughs and Alan Ginsberg that was made into a book.)
Since then Jun has spent hours reading testimonies and papers on the medicine and even gone so far as to suggest that it has become the reason for our round-the-world trip. A trip to Iquitos to try it became a “must do”. I have been less awed by the hype but willing to experiment, as ever. In Cuzco I talked to several people who had partaken of the ceremony and one who claimed to have seen her future. I was also told by one guy I got chatting to that Pucallpa is the emerging location for shamans. 
The “ayahuasca” of the ritual is usually a “tea” prepared with two plants: the B. caapi vine that bears its name and chacruna. The result is a concoction that doesn´t entice in smell or taste but that bears psychoactive properties incomparable to any others known; there are those who swear by its curative capacity too. We came to Pucallpa, on the fringes of the Amazon jungle and seved by one of the great river´s tributaries, to experience it for ourselves. Iquitos – we figure – is just too touristy and commercial for discerning cultural appropriators like us. 
Having done some research on the net, we already had our eye on Don Marçial at km26 and caught a collectivo there but my first glance at the conditions – Jun had been considering a prolonged stay on a special diet – told me they were too “rustic” for my posh-bird wife and we left with a vague (and dishonest) suggestion that we might return a few days later. The next day though – after stopping off at not-for-us Jardín Botánico Ayahuasca (near the airport, they have good maps on their Jardín Botánico FB page) – we had two encounters with people that led to opportunities and were sitting in a darkened room the very same night with a handful of locals and no other gringos.

That was arranged through Miguel Tang. We met him at Yarinacocha when looking for a boat trip on the laguna. We did that (and saw Jardín Botánico´s lakeside retreat) and he mentioned that we could do a ceremony for 50 soles each, a very reasonable price. Miguel – who is also known as “Pituco”, after his boat - is also mentioned in our Lonely Planet guide book so we knew we could trust him.  Contact him on 961928694. 
Since we knew the process involved “purging” (vomiting is usual, shitting a distinct possibility) and had heard of one guy soiling himself three times during an evening´s experimentation, there was an element of trepidation involved in our first encounter. When the ceremony began, Alejandro, our “strong” shaman, blessed the concoction (there were syncretic Christian elements throughout the event) took the first drink and I was the second to receive it. Agua de Florida was given as hard-to-swallow chaser. Jun was second and had purged within about twenty minutes and began a journey that she was to describe as the best of her life. Sitting in the dark, I had trouble getting comfortable and relaxing into receiving the “spirit” of the plant. I spent the best part of three hours yawning. Finally I got up to go the toilet and was surprised by how disoriented my body was. I subsequently purged from both ends but saw nothing.

Four nights later – after a jungle excursion - we tried again. This time I took a follow-up swig and received shallow visions and experienced some feelings of insignificance and self-criticism. My trip, however, was over within an hour of imbibing for the second time. The next day we bought some prepared ayawaska (the preferred Quechua spelling) and tried it on three consecutive nights without a shaman. Nothing to report, unfortunately.
Finally, we made the decision to go back to Don Marçial (061788754) at km26 and phoned him to arrange it. We then spent four consecutive evenings there (coming back to town in the morning to rest at our hotel) and – especially on the third night, when I increased my dose by 50% - I finally felt the concoction overtake me. Click here to read my description of my dark but rewarding journey.

3 comments:

live4love said...

Hi all,

I feel I need to say this, please read my story if you are thinking about going to Don Marcial...

I have been wanting to take ayahuasca for a long time and decided to travel to Peru with my partner to find a good shamon. After alot of researching (this page being one of many I had looked at) we decided to go to Don Marcial as we had so many good recommendations.

Whilst in peru I travelled to the sacred valley where I met another londoner who also recommended Don Marcial.

We were excited to arrive in pucallpa at Don Marcials at km26. Even though his place was basic I felt that it was the right place to be after everything I had heard. I aslo got the impression that Don was a kind man.

However on my third ceromony everything changed. I was experiencing horrible fevers and waves of sickness that felt unbearable, Don came to heal me and started to press on my stomach. I assumed he was healing my stomach with his hands however his hands started to wonder and he touched me in places that he shouldnt have for a long time. I couldnt make him stop because the ayahuasca was so strong and I was so weak from the sickness I couldnt move. After he finished I felt worse and the fever lasted untill the late hours of the morning when the effects of ayahuasca should have gone.

It wasnt till I spoke to one of the other girls who left unexpectedly that I realised how bad it was. She was there for longer and had many sessions with Don. He had done much worse to her. Anyway Im not here to speak for anyone but myself and warn other women who are considering Marcial as a shamon.

After the ceromony my partner and I left and I felt extremely ill for days. Maybe this is due to the emotional stress im not sure.

I cant find one bad comment about Don online so I dont understand why this happened. And I am still confused. Maybe recently he has changed, or maybe all of the comments are writen by men. My partner and the other men at Marcials seemed to have no problems with the ceromonys or with Don Marcial.

Im sorry to write such a negative post on your blog Watford Boy, I am glad you had a good experience but I feel like I have to warn women about this as it has really upset me. I hope you understand.

I am now on my way to iquitos and hope to do ayahuasca again when I am feeling stronger.

live4love said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richie Benaud said...

This is a magical journey through consciousness that will change your life forever. This is a chance to overhaul your system through shamanic healing and realize your full potential. Much spiritual healing will take place during these 12 days in mind, body and spirit during this Ayahuasca retreat and San Pedro retreat.

Ayahuasca retreats