Thursday, June 21, 2012

Put your money where your mouth is

I do enjoy a gamble and wrote about my biggest win before on this blog more than once. My favourite win, however, was telling an ex-colleague she was wrong when she said she'd been to the capital of Kazakhstan and winning £2 when - to her surprise - she discovered it had been moved from Almaty to Astana after she'd visited.
I've placed a few bets during Euro 2012, where, after taking 7 points out of 9 in the group stage "England unexpectedly expect" according to a Guardian headline. I had money on Danny Welbeck to score against Sweden but my biggest win so far was £11.78 on Rooney to score and England to beat Ukraine at 4/1 with William Hill. Watched the match with Faisel, Allen and Ruben at the Garage, Islington and celebrated the surprise of avoiding Spain in the quarter-finals.
France have that pleasure. Some of my quarter-final bets are made. I bet £20 on Portugal and Germany to win and got in-play evens on Portugal today so won a tenner from a late Ronaldo goal (and my double is still alive). I also put a "cheeky" fiver on Spain v France and England v Italy to both be draws at 90 mins. 8.57/1, so worth a flutter.
My biggest loss, incidentally, came with 2 bets on Russia when they lost 1-0 to Greece and went out of the competition. I'm hoping Greece don't do the double over me against the Germans tomorrow.

No comments: