Sunday, April 27, 2008

Dire

Watford v Scunthorpe United

Saturday 26th April

Air and Rod joined me at Euston for the train to the Moon and the ground to meet Joss, who had my season ticket. Their tickets hadn’t arrived so I’d phoned to have them left at reception and we were in before kick-off. The fans started in good voice but, in an all too familiar routine, there were boos when we went in goalless after forty-five minutes.

After sixty Ellington and Ainsworth came on and one of the kids in front of me who booed the Duke was given a right telling off by Liam, who suggested that our number 18 might score the decisive goal. “Optimistic,” I chimed but agreed with the wider point. It was Lionel Ainsworth who made the move of the match within minutes though, a run down the left followed by a cut-in and blocked shot but it was to no avail. Less than five minutes later, as I sat from chanting, I noticed their keeper’s hand go up and realised he was celebrating them going ahead.

The single goal won the game and after chants of “You’re not fit to wear the shirt” and more booing, any thoughts Betty may have had of coming to address the once-faithful were abandoned. The fact that Palace lost at Hull and Wolves only drew meant that despite this run of results, a play-off place remains in our own hands (and those of Blackpool next Sunday).

No comments: