Sunday, October 04, 2009

Bolivian Vultures 101

On our first day`s walk in Coroico, we saw tens of what I later found out were turkey vultures and black-headed vultures. Although in their scavenger role they share many traits, I learned that there is some debate as to how similar they (or any of the seven species of New World vultures) are to Old World vultures. The similarities may be more to do with convergent evolution than taxonomy but time will tell whether the birds we saw hopping ungracefully and soaring magestically are more closely related to other vultures or to storks.

Some things that are known are that as well as reguritating to feed their young, they also vomit as a defence mechanism. The half-digested carrion will sting if a potential predator gets close enough. Alternatively, getting rid of a heavy meal will provide the vulture with the lift it requires to make a speedy escape should the need arise. Another charming fact is that these vultures piss or shit on their own legs in order to cool themselves down.

1 comment:

Jessica Ashley said...

hahah I remember you asking about them the first day. All I knew is that they were everywhere and Willy was always looking up at them. I think he may have been attacked before because he was so much more aware then the other birds. When I came home I also looked up in my South American bird book most of the species at LSV. The red macaws everyone had called Scarlets were actually red and green wing macaws. These vultures sound pretty dirty if you ask me!