Monday, October 26, 2009

Dead and Alive Latin American Singers

Since we arrived in South America, I have been making a bit of an effort to familiarise myself with some of the music here, though I am not talking about salsa or tango. My favourite song to date is the Argentinian Leon Gieco`s protest song "Solo le pido a dios" and I am getting into his compatriot, Charly Garcia. Unfortunately, there seems to be a tendency for Peruvian singers to meet an untimely death while we are in their country: Alicia Delgado was murdered the same day that the last piece of that ex-African American singer, dancer and pedophile died, and Julio Barreto was murdered a couple of weeks after that. A week or so ago, Zambo Cabero died too. Before that, at the beginning of October, the Argentinian singer Mercedes Sosa passed away (she does a great cover version of "Solo le pido a dios").
Today though, we bumped into a very much alive Leo Dan, an Argentinian crooner from the seventies and I have a souvenir picture to show for it.

No comments: