Thursday, September 14, 2006

A shitty dilemma

Thursday 14th September

I made a statement that I am going to contradict. Yesterday I got a bunch of documents confirming the quiz appearance, which stated that I’d have to be at the studio on Saturday from midday until 10pm. If I go to the quiz there is no way I can see the match. I phoned up last night and said I couldn’t make it but could get there Friday or Sunday. When Michelle phoned me back today, she was trying to convince me to go (so she didn’t have to find a replacement). It was sweet: she kept repeating “We really want you. You’re such a character” just as if someone told her to say that. (They probably added ‘etcetera’, but she couldn’t think of a third line.) A ‘character’? Me? She obviously didn’t see me sneering during the rehearsal. In fact, she wouldn’t recognise me in the street.

At work today my Director Of Studies, Alison, told me there was a Yahoo! quiz online which you could win money from. As it happens, it was no such thing: it was a forum for questions to be posed and answered by other Yahoo! users, though some of them were ‘fact-based’ questions and you could’ve found out the answer more swiftly online. After beating her husband Mick at squash after work, I decided to post my dilemma.

Shall I go to a football match or appear on a TV quiz?

I bought my nephew a season ticket in order to convert him into a Watford fan (he liked Man U) but this Saturday i've been invited to take part in a new quiz show, 1 vs 100. Should I let my 11 y.o. nephew down (Watford v Aston Villa) or blow off the (small) possibility of winning a lot of money?

I got six answers in the first fifteen minutes. Here they are with the user’s name first.

EvilFairie: You can always take him to another game... The opportunity to appear on a quiz show is one in a million. And he’ll probably enjoy the money you are going to win!

One in a million? She hasn’t done her probability homework properly.

Leo: Football. Always Football. Not least because of your nephew!

girl from oz: go to the footy. There are enough boring people on Tv!

This is a valid point but it seems to imply I am boring. How does she know?

knowssignlangauge: well i think you should ask him about it. i would just take him but if you ask him he may tell u to go for it. He is 11 and can tell u weather or not he may think you being on a game show is

pretty cool and see if he can come and watch the game show. well good luck.

Weather? Knowsnotenglishlanguage.

Turd Ferguson: quiz show

thomas a: simple find one to take the kid and you go to the quiz

The last answer is typical of the illiteracy or typos of the net, no? Anyway, I make that 3-3: a score-draw. An important question remains, however: is “turd” his real name?

No comments: