Monday, September 18, 2006

"Super Sunday"

Sunday 17th September

My phone vibrated in my pocket about 7 yesterday evening and I ducked out of view of the one camera that could possibly have seen me so as to read Joss’ text telling me that Watford had drawn 0-0. Later, outside Kings Cross station after getting off a Metropolitan line tube from Wembley Park, I bought a first-edition Observer, which didn’t carry the Watford score but reported that in the game between the two other teams promoted last season, Reading had won 2-1 at Sheffield United, meaning that Watford were off the bottom, though still one of four teams without a win.

There were more games today than yesterday. Today is billed as “Super Sunday” because the big 4 played each other but with two goals in total, someone should contact the “trade descriptions” people: Chelsea beat Liverpool 1-0 despite going down to ten men and Arsenal got a goal near the end of the match at Old Trafford to beat United by the same score and end their winning start to the season. Jun and I watched it in a local (therefore Gooner) pub but I had been willing on Man U to a 2-0 win in order to see Arsenal drop below the Golden Boys in the league. It never happened and I guess it won’t this season. Blackburn also won today, which means that now only the bottom two haven’t won.

I wonder if my poem ever got to Betty..? His mail this week said he’d concentrated on “resilience, resolve, recovery and response” in the preparation for the game. I don’t really understand the last bit but with Villa resurgent after Martin O’Neill’s pre-season appointment as manager and them not having lost a game yet, it was about the result I’d expected. Reports imply that after they dominated the first half, their keeper, Sorensen, won them the point with what is predictably called a “string” of saves. If it goes beyond a particular amount, should it become a “rope”? If so - and this keeps happening - are we gonna be hung by it?

No comments: